Monday, May 6, 2013

FIRST LOVE - a poem I wrote for my wife for our first wedding anniversary.


 It cannot fully characterize the depth of my feeling for her, but then again – nothing can.

FIRST LOVE
by Sam Sewell

You could have been my first love;
            Flesh, a quivering cord/chord that connects us.
            A love that comes breathing,
            Never before felt feelings,
            Stirring in my electric solar plexus.

            Flaccid yet eager cosmic phallus
            Says, "Not now!  Watch out!  It’s too late;
            Your lance has been fickled by fate,
            And is covered by layers of callous."

            Maybe I feel first lovely,
            To a less, or more degree?

 You could have been my first love;
            A love made of white knights and lonely princes,
            Seeking heaving bosoms and reeling senses,
            Which dissolve into domestic war dances,
            And, "I need to borrow money for legal expenses."

            First love?  Not what I want!  Probably a myth.
            Fairy tails, tales and trails convex and converge
            ‘til I prefer work, regular sex, and soul merge,
            To an unreal love ersatz to begin with.

            While first love turns from fire to ice,
            Our love gets warmer, and warm will suffice.

 You could have been my first love;
            A love every true Pollyanna believes in.
            With hope in my heart I've tied that knot,
            Yearning for whatever "she" has not got,
            And suffered without rhyme, wit or reason.

            Found "guilty" and exiled for life to the "Freeze
Zone.”
            I gave that up!  We're not like that, you know.
            What started as harvest continues to grow
            Into a fullness of love, come due in its season.

            First love?  “Love l0l” for slow learning romantics!
            First love? Or first real love?  A case of semantics.

Could you be my first love?
            An entwining of blossoms flung up to a star?
            Arching higher and higher, the more real we are?
            A love more real than romance can admit?
            If ever I had a real love, you're it!   

No comments: